Role: Application Support Engineer
Location: Hanger Lane
WE’RE GOING PLACES….
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as an Application Support Analyst
Responsible for high-quality analysis, coding, testing and support of software in a collaborative, cross-functional team-based environment in the River Island IT Engineering and Support arena.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Analysis of retail application support issues assigned to the 3rd line support team.
- Investigate and fix production issues / system defects as required in collaboration with (2nd line) application support team.
- Logging, Prioritising and management of incidents to meet OLA’s and SLA’s
- Perform data fixes, testing and implementation of required code changes for any identified bugs in an efficient manner.
- Execute fast track and small project work prioritised by application support and engineering team from time to time.
- Produces solutions that are robust, flexible and able to scale.
- Manage specific areas of responsibility to achieve service levels Agreements
- Delivery of a friendly, helpful and efficient service to end users
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Provide hands on assessment and support of application-based incidents in line with the business requirements
- Working collaboratively with (2nd line) Application Support team in identifying issues, providing resolutions, address a backlog of bugs, tech debt and optimisation pieces of work.
- Manage incidents through to resolution, collaborating with other teams as needed
- Liaises with third party technical project teams where appropriate in relation to package systems implementations, or third-party Suppliers/Partners
- Escalate high impact issues with IT management following the agreed escalation procedures
- Implement agreed procedural and functional changes to reduce future incidents
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of team procedures and practices
- Ensures application development and documentation is in accordance with coding standards and the software development lifecycle
- Produces and contributes to the technical design of new systems and systems enhancements
- Conducts and participates in detailed code reviews, technical walkthroughs and design presentations with other team and external members
- Takes responsibility and ownership of projects and is proactive in finding the best solution
- Produces resolutions of high-quality and with minimal defects
- Calls out blocking issues or impediments encountered during delivery and suggests resolutions.
- Fully engaged and active participant in the scrum framework and agile working practices
- Proactively shares knowledge and information with others
- Provides out of hours and daytime support for live systems as required by the team support rota.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a 3rd line support analyst or Developer or Software Engineering role.
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player who is also willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organizational goals.
- Experience in the Retail industry.
- ITIL foundation certificate
- Oracle ERP package
- Understanding of Agile ways of working and iterative development.
- Exposure to Cloud based infrastructure and technologies.
- Understanding of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) concepts.
- Understanding of test-driven development (TDD) principles.
Technical skill sets (Required):
- Techniques and features of Oracle 9i/10G/11G/12C
- SQL, PL/SQL
- Linux Shell Scripts
Technical skill sets (Desirable):
- .Net, C#, ASP
- XML, XHTML
- Apex, Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports
- SQL Server
- Source control (i.e. PVCS, GITS), TOAD/SQL Developer, UC4 or similar scheduler
- Project tracking tools such as Jira
- Build and Continuous Integration tooling
- Oracle Retail (RMS), Oracle E-Business suite
- Understanding of Web Services / APIs / Microservices
- Understanding of Data Warehousing Concepts
Attitudes and behaviours:
- Focused, consistent and results-driven
- Communicates in a clear, confident and articulate manner
- Possesses a strong command of the English language
- Passionate about Quality Assurance and has a keen eye to detail
- Analytical, pragmatic and pro-active in approach
- Actively engages with team in all phases of development
- Demonstrates a flexible and collaborative approach
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with colleagues
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
- Takes a positive and proactive approach to identifying and raising awareness of risks and issues
- Cultivates a culture of team ownership of quality and project deliverables
- Enthusiastic about learning new technologies and improving skills
Motivates self and team to exceed set expectations IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop
- Subsidised canteen
- Free onsite parking