We are looking for a Business Intelligence Software Engineer to help us in the analysis, design, coding, testing and support of software in a collaborative, cross-functional team-based environment in the River Island’s Business Intelligence Delivery arena.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Liaises with Stakeholders, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Product Owners and other Team Members as necessary in order understand and review user requirements/stories/features and Acceptance Criteria and turn them into efficient unambiguous software solutions.
- Performs technical evaluations and feasibility studies for new business systems requirements or Technologies.
- Produces and contributes to the technical design of new systems and system enhancements.
- Ensures Application development and documentation is in accordance with coding standards and the software development lifecycle.
- Takes responsibility and ownership of projects and is proactive in finding the best solution.
- Conducts system performance analysis and optimisation tuning where necessary.
- Conducts and participates in detailed code reviews, technical walkthroughs and design presentations with other team and external members.
- Fully engaged and active participant in Scrum framework and agile working practices.
- Proactively shares knowledge and information with others.
- Calls out blocking issues or impediments encountered during delivery and suggests resolutions.
- Provides out of hours and daytime support for live systems as required by the team support rota.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Minimum 5 years’ commercial experience as a Developer/Software Engineer, working on a Data warehouse utilising Oracle and SAP Business Objects.
- Via a design tool or otherwise, candidate must have a complete grasp of ETL concepts.
- Understanding of Agile ways of working and iterative development.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player who is also willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organizational goals.
- Exposure to AI, ML.
- Exposure to Cloud based infrastructure and technologies. E.g. Red Shift, Snowflake
- Experience in optimisation and performant code principles.
- Understanding of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) concepts and application.
- Understanding of test-driven development (TDD) principles.
Technical skill (Required)
- Techniques and features of Oracle 9i/10G/11G/12C
- Strong SQL, PL/SQL
- Strong Business Objects toolset (Webi, CMC, IDT) version XIR3, 4
- Linux Shell Scripts
- Fluent in OLTP and Dimensional Modelling.
- Strong in ETL methodology
- Exposure to Oracle Materialized Views
- In depth knowledge of Oracle Tuning (CBO),
- Unix Shell Scripts,
Technical skills (Desirable)
- Business Objects Reporting Scheduling and Publishing software (Acusend, Broadcast Agent)
- BI Tools. E.g. Looker, Power BI, Tableau, Qlick, Quicksight
- 360 Eyes, Bind
- SQL Server
- Source control (i.e. PVCS/GIT), TOAD/SQL Developer, UC4 or similar scheduler
- Oracle Retail (RMS), Oracle E-Business suite
- Understanding of Web Services / APIs / Microservices
- Proven track record in successfully delivering complex projects end to end within an Agile environment
- Experience of working within fast paced, multi-channel customer focused organisations, ideally within the retail sector
- Experience working alongside a Scrum Master and working with them to schedule and plan releases
- Strong commercial and business understanding of project drivers and experience supporting business prioritisation
- Experience supporting business stakeholders in the definition and prioritisation of Epics & User Stories
- Excellent risk management skills, assessing risk from both a technical and business perspective and managing and reporting accordingly
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require performing your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here, we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership (Hanger Lane only)
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop (Hanger Lane)
- Subsidised canteen (Hanger Lane only)
- Free onsite parking (Hanger Lane only)