Role: Core Test Manager
Location: Hanger Lane
WE’RE GOING PLACES….
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as a Core Test Manager
To lead, develop and manage Testing across RI Tech Core Systems. Working with Business Analysts, Solution Architects, Engineering Managers and Development Teams to agree the appropriate test approach for all delivery projects. To ensure sufficient capacity is available through collaborative estimation. With a deep understanding of Agile ways of working and delivering an “Automation” first approach the Test Manager ‘looks ahead’ and helps plan future projects as well as ensuring agreed best practice ways of working are being followed by his/her team for changes in flight. Being a servant leader, provides support to the testing staff on their individual development and also developing testing as a community of quality advocates with emphasis on test automation at River Island.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Line Management of Testers
- Accountable for ensuring ways of working, standards and tools are consistently applied in the team and continuously reviewed and improved
- Matrix managing resources into project/scrum teams
- The timeliness and quality of test deliverables produced by the test team
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Provides High Level impact assessments for new change requests
- Defines the appropriate test approach for proposed/new change requests
- Provides input into and reviews/approves test artefacts produced by Testers
- Works with the Engineering Manager to understand the demand on the testing team against current capacity
- Recruits additional staff as and when required
- Matrix manages test resources by allocating staff to projects / scrum teams appropriately
- Works with the Lead Engineering Manager and Digital Test Manager to define and improve ways of working, standards and tools
- Ensures staff apply agreed ways of working, standards and tools consistently and are continuously reviewed and improved
- Anticipates and is pro-active around the management of issues
- Provide testing / quality guidance, help and advice to team members and the business where applicable
- Helps team members achieve their full potential, through provision of guidance, assistance and recommendation of training programs.
- Proven track record of managing a team of testers in a Software Engineering environment
- Extensive experience of test planning and the ability to re-plan based on changing circumstances
- Extensive experience of covering the complete project life-cycle, in a structured environment (both iterative/agile and waterfall).
- Extensive experience of a range of testing types including functional, non-functional, regression, integration, UAT and OAT.
- Experience of leading testing, including where both internal and 3rd parties are involved
- Experience of creating test strategies
- Experience of Agile and Waterfall development project lifecycles.
- Experience of risk analysis and Risk Based Testing.
- Experience of enterprise scale integration testing.
- Experience of exploratory testing and techniques
- Knowledge of automated testing tools such as QTP, Rational Functional Tester, Selenium, Silk Test.
- Knowledge of testing complex user interfaces and GUI applications
- Experience of defect management and test management tools
- Knowledge of Test Data provisioning and Management
- Experience in the Retail industry
- Experience of AWS & Microservices architectures
- Experience of test management in Agile & DevOps environment
Technical skill sets (required)
- Test case management tools such as Zephyr, Quality Center
- Experience using agile development methodologies test-driven development, Continuous integration/Continuous delivery
- Experience of build tools like Jenkins/Teamcity
- Defect management and workflow management tools such as Jira
- Detailed understanding of test automation tooling like Selenium, Cucumber, WebdriverIO
- Load Test Tools such as Load Runner, JMeter, Gatling
- Automated Unit Test Tools such as JUnit, NUnit
Attitudes and behaviours:
- Sets personal targets beyond those required and strives to meet them
- Motivates self and others to achieve the results and standards expected
- Sees problems as challenges to be overcome and takes action to resolve them
- Is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to achieve the desired result
- Continues working to meet business goals despite obstacles and/or opposition
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving departmental quality standards
- Builds relationships with other areas of the business
- Actively seeks ways to encourage and promote teamwork within the team
- Nurtures a sense of team spirit
- Covers the work of absent team members willingly
- Encourages others to use their initiative and put forward their ideas and suggestions on how to improve performance
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop
- Subsidised canteen
- Free onsite parking