Development Practice Lead - London
We are looking for someone to servant lead a number of - for sake of argument - ‘backend’ software engineering teams via each team’s tech lead. The ideal person will have technical leadership experience across modern/new tech (microservices, AWS, etc), and tried and tested A game people management skills, with the ability to both build and foster engineering communities.
Our product owners know what their stakeholders need, and know how to document those needs, as requirements. Our developers know how to build software to satisfy those requirements. What nobody in the teams can do however is look ahead at and prepare for all possible futures nor attend and understand all architectural considerations for both their own and the wider systems and services of the business based upon those possible futures.
That’s where we need - hopefully - you!
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Staying up to date with teams’ architectural decisions; keeping tech leads updated with the wider vision and principles.
- Continually collaborating with peers to identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities across the whole organisation.
- Observing the estimation, planning and delivery of product teams in order to spot issues and advise portfolio leads if corrective action is required.
- Coaching both hard and soft skills as well as tooling and techniques needed to be as effective as possible.
- Assisting engineers, where required, to identify and resolve technical issues.
- Working with the ‘Heads of’ to define and improve ways of working, standards and tools.
- Growing people: guiding, assisting, recommending training programs; maintaining awareness of industry trends with regards to technical trends.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a software engineering people/team management role
- Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline driven environment managing multiple priorities
- Team player who is willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organisational goals
- Action orientated person with a delivery track record
- Very strong understanding of agile and waterfall methodologies
- Previous experience of leading software engineers through change programmes and projects
- Significant experience of people management, including the application of performance management processes
- Able to coach and develop teams and individuals to achieve excellent results
- Experience of working closely with Quality Assurance, Security and Operability focused colleagues to advocate and adopt development standards and support testing, user acceptance, system operability, training and knowledge sharing excellence.
- Experience of high-volume transactional retail systems.
- Experience of Oracle, Go Lang and React
- Sets personal targets beyond those required, and strives to meet them
- Motivates self and others to achieve the results and standards expected
- Sees problems as challenges to be overcome and takes action to resolve them
- Is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to achieve the desired result
- Continues working to meet business goals despite obstacles and/or opposition
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving departmental quality standards
- Builds relationships with other areas of the business
- Actively seeks ways to encourage and promote teamwork within the team
- Nurtures a positive sense of team spirit
- Covers the work of absent team members willingly
- Encourages others to use their initiative and put forward their ideas and suggestions on how to improve performance
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment, where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! Politics is not in our DNA; you’re sure to have met with our CEO within your first fortnight. Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand, and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events! In the 2 weeks before Christmas we hosted 2 in-hours quizzes, handed out and received awards. More widely we all literally went to Heaven for our all you can drink and eat office party, after enjoying a free meal of chips, burgers and chilli to ‘set us up’ for the night ahead.
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% staff discount
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest free season ticket loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership (at Hanger Lane)
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop (at Hanger Lane)
- Subsidised canteen (at Hanger Lane)
- Free onsite parking (at Hanger Lane)