We are looking for an someone to lead a number of software engineering teams that compose of product teams. The ideal person will have technical leadership experience across modern/new tech such as Microservices and AWS, and strong people management experience and the ability build and foster engineering communities.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Helping the architecture team by spotting and raising key deviations from the architectural vision and principles.
- Continually collaborating with peers to identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities across the whole organisation.
- Observing the estimation, planning and delivery of product teams in order to spot issues and advise portfolio leads if corrective action is required.
- Coaching practice members on hard and soft skills as well as tooling and techniques needed to be as effective as possible in their role in a product team.
- Assisting engineers, where required, to identify and resolve technical issues.
- Working with the Head of Engineering Practices to define and improve development ways of working, standards and tools.
- Assisting and advising portfolio leads with management of product team delivery capacity.
- Making recommendations on technical direction by maintaining awareness of industry trends.
- Helping practice members achieve their full potential, through provision of guidance, assistance and recommendation of training programs.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a software engineering people/team management role
- Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline driven environment managing multiple priorities
- Team player who is willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organizational goals
- Action orientated person with a delivery track record Experience of working with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and practices
- Experience of high-volume transactional systems.
- Previous experience of leading multi-skilled (Software Engineering, QA, User Interface) Development/ Engineering Teams to deliver the software required for technical change programmes, projects and small changes in line with business expectations
- Experience of working in an international working environment, with a good command of the English language and excellent communication skills.
- Significant experience of people management, including the application of performance management processes
- Able to coach and develop teams and individuals to achieve excellent results
- Educated to degree level in an information technology discipline, ideally specialising in software engineering/ application development
- Experience of working closely with Quality Assurance, Testing, Security and Operability focused colleagues to advocate and adopt development standards and support testing, user acceptance, system operability, training and knowledge sharing excellence.
- Experience in the Retail industry
- Experience using agile development methodologies test-driven development, continuous integration and iterative development
- Sets personal targets beyond those required and strives to meet them
- Motivates self and others to achieve the results and standards expected
- Sees problems as challenges to be overcome and takes action to resolve them
- Is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to achieve the desired result
- Continues working to meet business goals despite obstacles and/or opposition
- Offers ideas and suggestions for improving departmental quality standards
- Builds relationships with other areas of the business
- Actively seeks ways to encourage and promote teamwork within the team
- Nurtures a positive sense of team spirit
- Covers the work of absent team members willingly
- Encourages others to use their initiative and put forward their ideas and suggestions on how to improve performance
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership (Hanger Lane only)
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop (Hanger Lane only)
- Subsidised canteen (Hanger Lane only)
- Free onsite parking (Hanger Lane only)