With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as a Lead DevOps Automation Engineer?
We are looking for talented DevOps Engineers to help River Island’s business transformation moving from a monolith to creation of a service-oriented architecture utilising microservices in the cloud. We want creative, inspired people who will take responsibility and ownership for high-quality software & infrastructure analysis and design, as well as support their code in a collaborative, cross-functional team-based environment, and be helping to build and lead that team. We want people who relish a challenge and display ‘out of the box’ thinking.
You will have proven expertise in building and supporting full production stacks, including networking, Windows / Linux systems, load balancing, performance monitoring, CI/CD and version control. You will be passionate and curious about technology and driven to deliver quality solutions. You will focus on the whole production stack, and engage in the entire life cycle of services, working with software developers and test automation engineers to assist them in delivering services which are scalable, performant, secure, fault-tolerant, and continuously delivered using automated server provisioning / Infrastructure as Code
You will also need a proven track record of designing, developing and maintaining dependable, mission-critical CI/CD pipelines and systems, to help elevate our CI/CD system to a scalable architecture.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
We are building out a range of data federation RESTful services to and from our Core estate, to various endpoints via the AWS cloud, replacing older direct DB-to-DB and batch file integrations. We need keen, enthusiastic engineers to help us on this journey, and to help carve out the paths we should take to achieve our goals. We’re genuinely excited about the journey we’re on, and we want you part of it: It’s fast-paced, sometimes difficult, always rewarding.
We work in an Agile cross-functional team environment, with teams owning and taking responsibility for the products they are building. We work with a ‘build it, own it’ philosophy; the products we build are as good as the teams that build and support them. Our CI / CD release process coupled with automated testing and IaC means that we maintain a rapid pace and working software is the metric of success.
You will be responsible for:
- Active on remediating any knowledge gaps between Developers and Operations Engineers.
- Performs technical evaluations and feasibility studies for new business systems requirements or technologies.
- Produces and contributes to the technical design of new systems and system enhancements.
- Working alongside other engineers in the industry, providing the code, services and knowledge to deliver a smooth automation process from the start to the end of the project lifecycle.
- Takes responsibility and ownership of projects and is proactive in finding the best solution.
- Conducts system performance analysis and optimisation tuning where necessary.
- Produces high-quality code according to our high standards
- Conducts and participates in detailed code reviews, technical walkthroughs and design presentations with other team and external members.
- Liaises with third party technical project teams where appropriate in relation to package systems implementations, or third-party Suppliers/Partners.
- Fully engaged and active participant in Scrum framework and agile working practices.
- Proactively shares knowledge and information with others.
- Calls out blocking issues or impediments encountered during delivery and suggests resolutions.
- Providing fully scalable system provisioning & automation, monitoring, metrics, security and hardening.
- Proactively own, improve and tune the CI/CD system to enable developer productivity
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
We are looking for someone who is passionate about DevOps engineering, IaC, building elastically scalable infrastructure, CI / CD, REST, API best practice, enjoys sharing knowledge and values, testing and reproducibility, as well as figuring out the best way to build systems that are maintainable and easy to comprehend.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of building infrastructure in the cloud (AWS), and designing for the cloud
- Creation of cloud services via CloudStack, OpenStack or similar
- Understanding of cloud concepts and how to automate the build over specific API's within the cloud
- Experienced in defining, maintaining and provisioning infrastructure as code using Terraform
- Experience establishing and employing Continuous Integration practices and tools such as Jenkins.
- Knowledge of software configuration and deployment using Docker / Kubernetes
- Knowledge of configuration management tools (Puppet / Ansible)
- Experience of configuring IP networking, particularly NAT with VIPA and VNICs
Technical skill sets (Required):
- Cloudstack, Openstack or similar
- Jenkins / Build and Continuous Integration tooling
- Bash Shell Scripts
- Apache, Nginx, Tomcat
Technical skill sets (Desirable):
- Oracle VM
- Experience of OO programming; Python or Ruby ideally.
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Understanding of, and experience with, TDD and BDD
Attitudes and behaviours:
- Able to manage multiple priorities
- Takes initiative with minimal supervision / exercises freedom to take charge of own initiatives
- Focused, consistent and results-driven
- Communicates in a clear, confident and articulate manner
- Treats team members with consideration and respect
- Demonstrates a flexible, proactive and collaborative approach
- Sets high personal standards
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with colleagues
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness when faced with challenges
- Critical, creative thinker
- Takes personal responsibility for their code and the team success
- Takes a positive and responsive approach to identifying, raising and resolving risks and issues
- Cultivates a culture of team ownership of quality and project deliverables
- Enthusiastic about learning new technologies and improving skills
This job requires strong analytical and technical abilities and demands fast, but carefully thought-out results. Strong leadership and control of the work process from beginning to end is necessary. The job centres around developing new ideas, systems and technology, and also analysing and improving on old ones. A high level of expertise is expected and the ability to spot and correct errors is important. Work must be done right and quickly, while always focusing on accomplishing the goal and demanding the highest quality work from co-workers and subordinates.
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop