Ready to join one of the most successful fashion brands on the high street? Do you have a passion for fashion? Driven to achieve? United to win? If your answers are yes, we think you’ll love it here on the Island…
From our first shop in the remains of a North London bombsite in the 1940s, to now over 250 stores across the UK, Ireland and internationally. We are known for our stylish, affordable fashion and we like to shout-it loud.
Our Island community is everything and we are stronger together. Every Islander counts in making fashion a force for good and we value individuality and difference. Exceptional people have made River Island a success for over 70 years. Together we will continue to do so in the years ahead.
We are one team. We are the difference. We are River Island.
Developing the ecommerce platform and associated services
- Production of high-quality code that meets the experience designs within agreed timelines
- Build and deployment of new features and servicers for the ecommerce platform
- Investigation and remediation of production issues / system defects.
- Fast paced development done right, implementing continuous improvement and best practices.
- Working within your team and the wider Digital Platform to deliver sprint-based goals and releases.
- Using modern programming techniques such as BDD, TDD, pair programming and CICD.
- Working collaboratively with designers and product managers and Business Analysts to deliver best in class experience for our customers.
- Working with 3rd parties and business partners.
- Interpreting business requirements and breaking down features into smaller deliverable components.
- Application performance, gauging both the positive and negative impacts of changes.
- Contributing to driving forward quality and effectiveness of our development practices.
- Identifying and raising any areas of risk.
- Presenting completed features to stakeholders and peers in sprint demos.
- Keeping abreast of the latest web technologies and software delivery practices.
- Keeping up with technical innovations, techniques, advancements and experiments to advance our practices and process
- Participating in the creation of standard practices and long-term solutions to help with efficiency and accuracy, developing setup standards, guides and processes
- Building and supporting high volume, high availability transactional websites and adopt a focus on clean separation of responsibilities, simplicity, testability and maintainability.
- Working in fast paced, high quality development teams.
- Engineering within an Agile development environment
- Working with a microservices based architecture
- Experience of cloud native development with AWS including serverless application development approaches using one or more of serverless Framework
- Experience integrating with Third Party API’s
- Experience in ecommerce desirable
Engineering principles, methodologies and concerns:
- SOLID, YAGNI, DRY, KISS…
- Functional programming
- Caching strategies
- Service based application design
- Security and Data Compliance
- GraphQL, Apollo
- React / NextJS
- JAMStack, AWS, ECS, Lambda
- Git, Github
- Command line tooling
Action Planning - Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to work independently while providing guidance and training to others on developing appropriate plans or performing necessary actions based on recommendations and requirements
In-Depth Questioning - Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to act independently while guiding and training others to explore the depth and breadth of a problem, draw out the implications of not changing, and help clients self-discover and articulate the value of a solution
Risk Management - Uses comprehensive knowledge and/or skills to act independently while providing guidance and training to others on identifying, assessing, prioritizing and managing risk
Data Collection and Analysis - Works independently and provides guidance and training to others on analyzing data trends for use in reports to help guide decision making
Questions Strategically - Uses comprehensive knowledge and skills to act independently while guiding and training others to uncover clients’ explicit needs and/or unforeseen opportunities and challenges
Manages Complexity - Makes sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. For example, asks questions to encourage others to think differently and enrich their analyses of complex situations. Accurately defines the key elements of complex, ambiguous situations
Plans and Aligns - Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals. For example, strengthens alignment and coordination between own work and others', providing well-sequenced activities and exact time frames. Foresees and resolves many potential bottlenecks and delays
Ensures Accountability - Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments. For example, accepts responsibility for own work, both successes and failures. Handles fair share and does not make excuses for problems. Usually meets commitments to others.
Business Insight - Applies knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization's goals. For example, clearly understands how own activities relate to critical business drivers. Monitors business news and market changes for impact on the business or on own expertise area; uses this to shape decisions
Action Oriented - Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm. For example, takes timely action on important or difficult issues. Identifies and pursues new opportunities that benefit the organisation
And wait, did we mention the perks!?
- Discount – Generous 50% staff discount so you can treat yourself!
- RI Rewards – More discounts and vouchers with Perks at Work
- Island culture – We have a gym, subsidised restaurant & Costa, and a bargain staff shop, all onsite!
- Work that stays at work – Flexible working is a given, on top of payday early finishes and Summer Fridays
- Giver Island – Give as you earn scheme, a ‘Giver Island’ day each year and matched funding
- Training on the job – Support with upskilling skills through on the job training and qualifications
- Pension - A contributory private pension scheme
- Holiday - 25 days paid holiday
We mentioned the discount, right?
The base location for this role is flexible. We're happy for someone to split their time between home and Head Office. This can be discussed further at interview stage.