With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
What will you do as a Lead Web Engineer?
You will be responsible for developing web site functionality in line with business priorities. As the Lead Web Engineer you will at the top of your game and be what our engineers aspire to. You will be an agent of change, helping embed new tooling, processes and practices into our web engineering team. This is a 50/50 delivery and leadership role.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
As well as hands on development, you will be focussing on:
- Continuous improvement of engineering quality, tooling and practices
- Providing technical governance and expertise
- Supporting engineering teams during Scrum ceremonies
- Defining and reviewing solution designs
- Mentoring and coaching web engineers
- Assisting with recruitment and ongoing development of engineers
- Working closely with UX/UI to provide best in class experience for our customers
- Supporting business partners with 3rd party technology providers, ensuring they deliver value and are aligned to our strategic goals
- Building a performance and quality based culture within the web engineering team
- Identifying and mitigating risk
- Driving forward quality and effectiveness of our software delivery
- Ensuring every change we make takes us closer to our strategic vision
- Keeping abreast of the latest web technologies and software delivery practices
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Building and supporting high volume, high availability transactional websites
- Solution design and development of software within a service based architecture
- Engineering within an Agile development environment
- Working in a mobile first approach
- Close collaboration with design and marketing teams
- Stakeholder management
- Coaching and mentoring
- Engineering principles, methodologies and concerns:
- SOLID, YAGNI, DRY, KISS…
- Functional programming
- Caching strategies
- Service based application design
- Specialisms and 3rd party tools typically required for ecommerce:
- Digital Marketing & tag management
- Content Management Systems
- Experience in fast fashion ecommerce
- Building high quality engineering teams
- Line management
- Managing 3rd parties
Technical skill sets
- CI/CD tooling
Technical skill sets (Desirable)
Attitudes and behaviors:
- An insatiable appetite to Shift Left
- Applies best practice with a touch of pragmatism
- Enjoys accountability, is proactive and manages own work load
- Leads by example, earns team members trust and respect
- A flexible and collaborative approach
- Able to build persuasive arguments, adjusting content and style based on intended audience
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
- Objective and effective facts based decision making
- Focuses on delivering best possible outcome and value for the business and the customer
- Takes responsibility for personal, team and departmental success
- Has a positive and proactive approach to identifying and resolving risks and issues
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Ride to work scheme