Ready to join one of the most successful fashion brands on the high street? Do you have a passion for fashion? Driven to achieve? United to win? If your answers are yes, we think you’ll love it here on the Island…
From our first shop in the remains of a North London bombsite in the 1940s, to now over 250 stores across the UK, Ireland and internationally. We are known for our stylish, affordable fashion and we like to shout-it loud.
Our Island community is everything and we are stronger together. Every Islander counts in making fashion a force for good and we value individuality and difference. Exceptional people have made River Island a success for over 70 years. Together we will continue to do so in the years ahead.
We are one team. We are the difference. We are River Island.
What will you do as a Golang Software Engineer?
We are looking for talented Software Engineers to help River Island’s business transformation into the cloud and creation of a service-oriented architecture using microservices.
What you do matters
We are creating an SOA made up of a number of projects running in AWS. We utilise AWS best practices to control access and access accounts through a central IAM account. Our whole AWS estate is configured in Terraform, in multiple repos, and we use CI/CD tools to deploy. Our systems share common REST APIs utilising microservices, mainly built in Go. Currently, we are predominately using AWS Services including both serverless and container-based solutions to build in-house services.
We know what we are doing... and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
We are looking for someone who is passionate about software engineering, best practice, REST and a cloud-first mentality. We promote a knowledge sharing and inclusive culture within the RI:Tech Community. The successful candidate should value testing, quality, reproducibility, security and resilience of their product(s), as well as figuring out the best way to build systems that are maintainable and easy to comprehend.
Experience and skills required
- Golang preferred although Java or PHP considered.
- Experience with creating APIs / microservices and working in AWS.
- Advantage if you have experience of PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Aurora, Cloudwatch
- Working within a cross functional agile product team to deliver incremental changes in a continuous delivery environment. Ability to write self-documenting code using a TDD / BDD approach, that adheres to SOLID principles.
- Experience with distributed systems and CI pipelines a plus.
And wait, did we mention the perks!?
- Discount – Generous 50% staff discount so you can treat yourself!
- RI Rewards – More discounts and vouchers with Perks at Work
- Island culture – We have a gym, subsidised restaurant & Costa, and a bargain staff shop, all onsite!
- Work that stays at work – Flexible working is a given, on top of payday early finishes and Summer Fridays
- Giver Island – Give as you earn scheme, a ‘Giver Island’ day each year and matched funding
- Training on the job – Support with upskilling skills through on the job training and qualifications
- Pension - A contributory private pension scheme
- Holiday - 25 days paid holiday
We mentioned the discount, right?
The base location for this role is flexible. We're happy for someone to split their time between home and Head Office. This can be discussed further at interview stage.