We are looking for a Software Engineer to join our core IT delivery team, you will be responsible for high-quality analysis, design, coding, testing and support of software in a collaborative, cross-functional team-based environment in the River Island Core IT Delivery arena.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
- Produce high-quality and tested code within agreed timelines – usually, although not exclusively, in the context of a Scrum Team.
- Ability to break-down user requirements in such a way as to deliver value to the Business in a timely and iterative fashion.
- Produce solutions that are robust, flexible and able to scale.
- Liaise with Stakeholders, Project Managers, Business Analysts, Product Owners and other Team Members as necessary in order understand and review user requirements/stories/features and Acceptance Criteria and turn them into efficient unambiguous software solutions.
- Perform technical evaluations and feasibility studies for new business systems requirements or Technologies.
- Produce and contribute to the technical design of new systems and system enhancements.
- Ensure Application development and documentation is in accordance with coding standards and the software development lifecycle.
- Take responsibility and ownership of projects and is proactive in finding the best solution.
- Conduct system performance analysis and optimisation tuning where necessary.
- Produce high-quality code with minimal defects.
- Conduct and participate in detailed code reviews, technical walkthroughs and design presentations with other team and external members.
- Liaise with third party technical project teams where appropriate in relation to package systems implementations, or third party Suppliers/Partners.
- Fully engaged and active participant in Scrum framework and agile working practices.
- Proactively shares knowledge and information with others.
- Call out blocking issues or impediments encountered during delivery and suggests resolutions.
- Investigate and fixes production issues / system defects as required.
- Provide out of hours and daytime support for live systems as required by the team support rota.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a Developer or Software Engineering role.
- Understanding of Agile ways of working and iterative development.
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Team player who is also willing to work outside immediate team to deliver on common organizational goals.
- Experience in the Retail industry.
- Exposure to Cloud based infrastructure and technologies.
- Experience in optimisation and performant code principles.
- Understanding of Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) concepts and application.
- Understanding of test-driven development (TDD) principles.
Technical skill sets (required)
- HTML, CSS, Linux, Shell Scripts
- SQL, PL/SQL
Technical skill sets (Desirable)
- Oracle 11G/12C
- Source control GIT
- Project tracking tools such as Jira
- Build and Continuous Integration tooling
- Understanding of Web Services / APIs / Microservices / AWS cloud computing
- Understanding of Data Warehousing Concepts
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop
- Subsidised canteen
- Free onsite parking