We have a fantastic opportunity for a Web Engineer to join a cross functional agile team and work with our team of talented designers and engineers, you will be responsible for developing website features in line with business priorities. As a Web Engineer you will be driven and passionate about the work you deliver with a focus on doing things the right way. You will be an agent of change, helping implement new tooling, processes and practices as a member of a web engineering team.
Outside of delivery, you will get to participate in our technical communities, lunch & learn sessions and innovation days to help you professional learning and development and to broaden your network within RI. We you will also get to attend all of the external events we host at our Shoreditch offices, which to date have covered everything from Agile Delivery to DIY Drones controlled by AI hosted in the cloud!
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
As well as hands on development, you will be focusing on:
- Fast paced development done right, implementing continuous improvement and best practices.
- Working within your team and the wider Digital Platform to deliver sprint based goals and releases.
- Using modern programming techniques such as bdd, pair programming, pull requests and CICD.
- Working collaboratively with designers and product managers and Business Analysts to deliver best in class experience for our customers.
- Working with 3rd parties and business partners.
- Interpreting business requirements and breaking down features into smaller deliverable components.
- Website performance, gauging both the positive and negative impacts of changes.
- Contributing to driving forward quality and effectiveness of our development practices.
- Identifying and raising any areas of risk.
- Presenting completed features to stakeholders and peers in sprint demos.
- Keeping abreast of the latest web technologies and software delivery practices.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
- Building and supporting high volume, high availability transactional websites.
- Working in fast paced, high quality development teams.
- Engineering within an Agile development environment
- Working in a mobile first approach
- Close collaboration with design and marketing teams
- Engineering principles, methodologies and concerns:
- SOLID, YAGNI, DRY, KISS…
- Functional programming
- Caching strategies
- Extreme Programming
- Specialisms and 3rd party tools typically required for ecommerce:
- Experience in fast fashion ecommerce
- A/B testing and MVT
- Content Management Systems
- Digital marketing & tag management
Technical skill sets
- CSS inc. Flexbox, Grid
- Git, Github
- Sass, BEM
- Command line tooling
Technical skill sets (Desirable)
Attitudes and behaviors:
- Applies best practice with a touch of pragmatism
- Enjoys accountability, is proactive and manages own work load
- Collaborative, enthusiastic and flexible, earns team members trust and respect
- Able to build persuasive arguments, adjusting content and style based on intended audience
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
- Objective and effective facts based decision making
- Focuses on delivering best possible outcome and value for the business and the customer
- Takes responsibility for personal, team and departmental success
- Has a positive and proactive approach to identifying and resolving risks and issues
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Ride to work scheme