What will you do as a Conversion Optimisation Web Engineer?
As a Web Engineer you will be driven and passionate about the work you deliver with a focus on doing things the right way. You will be working as part of a scrum team to develop new features and enhance existing ones on our website, with a focus on Conversion Optimisation and Personalisation.
We recently changed platforms to Qubit which provides the opportunity to mature our engineering practices within this team. You will be an agent of change, using your wealth of experience in modern engineering to take the team to the next level, implement new tooling, processes and practices including TDD and CICD.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
As well as hands on development, you will be:
- Fast paced delivery done right, implementing continuous improvement and best practices.
- Working in a cross functional agile team.
- Working closely with BAs, POs and UX/UI designers to deliver best in class experiences for our customers.
- Interpreting business requirements into shippable code.
- Working with 3rd parties and business partners.
- Breaking down features into smaller deliverable components.
- Gauging the performance impact of changes before and after they are made.
- Contributing to driving forward the quality and effectiveness of our code.
- Collaborating with other teams, including kick off sessions and feature handovers.
- Identifying and raising areas of risk.
- Presenting completed features to stakeholders and peers in review ceremonies.
- Keeping abreast of and championing the latest web technologies and software delivery practices.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what we’re looking for!
Technical skill sets:
- CSS3 inc. Flexbox, Grid, Calc
- Git, GitHub
- Sass, BEM
- Command line tooling
Technical skill sets (Desirable)
- Building and supporting high volume, high availability transactional websites
- Working in fast paced, high quality development teams
- Engineering within an Agile development environment
- Working in a mobile first approach
- Close collaboration with UX/UI, other development teams and third parties
- A/B or MVT experience, using Qubit, Maxymiser, Target, Optimizely or similar
- A good understanding of Conversion Optimisation theory and practices
- A good understanding of how test setup and metrics are critical to the results
- Engineering principles, methodologies and concerns:
- SOLID, YAGNI, DRY, KISS…
- Functional programming
- Caching strategies
- Extreme Programming
- Specialisms and 3rd party tools typically required for ecommerce:
- Analytics, qualitative and quantitative
- Experience in fast fashion ecommerce
- Content management systems
- Digital marketing and tag management
Attitudes and behaviors:
- Applies best practice with a touch of pragmatism
- Enjoys accountability, is proactive and manages own work load
- Leads by example, earns team members trust and respect
- A flexible and collaborative approach
- “Strong opinions weakly held”
- Able to build persuasive arguments, adjusting content and style based on intended audience
- Builds positive and constructive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Demonstrates energy and resourcefulness in addressing business needs and requirements
- Objective and effective facts-based decision making
- Focuses on delivering best possible outcome and value for the business and the customer
- Takes responsibility for personal, team and departmental success
- Has a positive and proactive approach to identifying and resolving risks and issues
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from Summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% Staff Discount
- Pension Scheme
- Holiday plus bank holidays
- Interest Free Season Ticket Loan
- Discounted on-site gym membership (available at Hanger Lane office only)
- Ride to work scheme
- Staff Shop (available at Hanger Lane office only)
- Subsidised canteen (available at Hanger Lane office only)
- Free onsite parking (available at Hanger Lane office only)